the Windows plug-in, begin by clicking here:
V8.5.1 for Windows (2.43 MB)
- A Warning
box may display. Click OK.
- When the Save As dialog appears, take note of the
directory to which you are downloading and saving the software.
- Click Save to continue. The downloaded file
is named stnweb32.exe.
To install the plug-in,
- Close your browser.
- Go to the directory where stnweb32.exe was saved.
- Double-click stnweb32.exe to start installation.
- Accept all the default responses.
After installation, to create, upload and search a structure query,
follow these steps:
- Start your browser and log in to STN on the Web.
- Enter a structure-searchable file, e.g., REGISTRY.
- Open the Search Assistants folder and click on
- Click the Draw Query button to launch the
Structure Drawing window.
- Draw a new structure query, or open a previously saved
query for editting. (Consult the Structure Drawing Help
for details about how to draw structures).
- When you are ready to upload the structure, click Upload
Query from the Structure Drawing File menu.
- If the structure has been modified, a Save Query
dialog box is opened. Enter a file name and click Save&Upload,
or click Upload Only if you prefer not to save
the changes you made to the query.
- The structure is uploaded to your STN session and assigned
a query L-number, which may be searched using standard STN search syntax.
Windows users who have installed plug-in version V2.1.0 or higher:
- To upload one or more saved structure queries
in a single operation, select Upload Multiple Queries... from the
Structure Drawing File menu, select the file(s) to be uploaded, and
- The selected structures are uploaded to your STN session,
each as a separate query L-number, which may be searched using standard
STN search syntax.
To create or edit a structure query while offline,
follow these steps:
- Locate the folder on your hard drive in which the STN on
the Web Structure Drawing software is located. The software
is called stnwpsi.exe.
- If you installed the plug-in using the defaults, the folder
is C:\stnweb. If you did not use the defaults, then
stnwpsi.exe is in the folder you selected during installation.
- Double click on stnwpsi.exe to launch the
Structure Drawing editor. For convenience in the future,
you may wish to create a shortcut to this software. The procedure
to create a shortcut is described in the Windows Help index topic
- After you create your structure query, click Save
from the File menu. Select the folder in which to save
your query. Enter a file name and click Save. The query will be
saved with a ".str" suffix appended to the file name.
- To upload and search your query, log in to STN on
the Web and follow the instructions above.